Would you like to work at LabFam?
The Interdisciplinary Centre of Labour Market and Family Dynamics (LABFAM) University of Warsaw is seeking to fill a position of an Assistant Professor (full-time, fixed-term, 100% research based) within international research project „Risks, Resources and Inequalities: Increasing Resilience in European Families (rEUsilience)”, funded in the framework of Horizon Europe (European Commission).
The rEUsilience project will examine the adaptability of families to changes in the labour market caused, among others, by technological change, globalisation and the need to adapt to climate change. The project identifies the challenges posed to families by the dynamic changes taking place in labour markets, related to the loss of work or even the loss of opportunities to practice one’s profession, the need for retraining or the reorganisation of childcare. It will examine families’ coping strategies (including culturally determined gender roles and generational aspects) and policies which improve family resilience to emerging challenges. (Resilience of families to change, especially in terms of inclusiveness, flexibility and complementarity. The project’s research will identify the level of socio-economic risk and uncertainty faced by families across Europe, and the relative ability of different family types to absorb socio-economic shocks through behavioural change and the use of available structural solutions. The project is carried out in an international consortium (Belgium, Croatia, Spain, Poland, Sweden, UK) under the direction of Dr. Rense Nieuwenhuis (Stockholm University). The Head of Polish team is Prof. Anna Matysiak.
Discipline: ECONOMICS AND FINANCES
The candidate should have:
- A PhD in social sciences (economics, sociology, demography, political science or related field), preferably with a focus on family/ labour market research;
- Experience in carrying out research using advanced econometric / statistical methods on topics related to the labour market, family, social inequalities, including gender inequalities, and/or social or labour market policies;
- Publications in peer-reviewed international journals from the JCR list;
- Good knowledge of modern quantitative data analysis techniques and experience in working with large data sets;
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills;
- Advanced knowledge of English.
Knowledge of Polish language is not required.
Experience in scientific work in international research teams in reputable scientific institutions is welcomed.
The competition is open to persons who meet the requirements set in forth in the Act on Higher Education of July 20, 2018 (consolidated text: Journal of Laws 2021, item 478, as amended)
Description of the job:
The successful candidate will:
- conducting empirical research identifying the impact of changes in labour markets on families, including identifying adaptation strategies of families in the context of their care responsibilities and the division of responsibilities between partners and taking into account the institutional context (existing family or labour market policy regulations and cultural norms), including:
- a literature review on the project topic,
- working with large longitudinal (panel data) and cross-sectional data sets for the European Union countries (e.g. EU-SILC, EU LFS): preparation of data for analyses and execution of analyses and interpretation of results,
- searching for necessary information and indicators of legal regulations shaping family decisions
- cooperation in preparation of scientific articles summarizing the results of the implemented research
- cooperation with other consortium members, participation in meetings of the consortium and the Polish team and activities related to dissemination of the results obtained in the project and formulation of recommendations for policy
- participation in various scientific activities of the Interdisciplinary Centre for Labour Market and Family Research (seminars and conferences, cooperation with doctoral students and other team members).
- Employment opportunities till 31.08.2025 subject to an evaluation after the first year.
- Monthly remuneration (100% FTE) depending on qualifications: 13 000 – 14 000 PLN gross (~ 2 800 – 3 100 EUR) + the 13th salary
- Work in the dynamic and interdisciplinary research environment which facilitates scientific exchange and support high quality research (labfam.uw.edu.pl)
- The position will be available starting September 1, 2022 (this date may be subject to change depending on final Grant Agreement)
List of required documents:
- Scientific CV including employment history, scientific accomplishments, information about awards, scholarships, research projects and a complete list of publications
- Motivation letter describing previous research and research interests of the candidate and motivating candidate’s interest in the position. The motivation letter should also explain how the candidate meets the requirements of the call (up to 5 pages)
- A copy of two selected publications
- A recommendation letter
- Signed “Information on personal data processing” and “Statement”
The documents should be prepared in English and submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission date: 30.05.2022, 23:59.
Anticipated deadline for adjudication of the competition: August 2022.
The competition is the first stage of the procedure for recruitment to the position of academic staff set out in the Statutes, and its successful outcome constitutes the basis for further proceedings.
Candidates selected to the second recruitment stage will be invited for an interview.
The interviews are planned in May/June 2022. Candidates will be notified about the results by phone or email.
For further information about the application procedure please contact:
email@example.com – substantive questions on the position
firstname.lastname@example.org – questions on administrative matters
 See: https://isap.sejm.gov.pl/isap.nsf/download.xsp/WDU20220000574/U/D20220574Lj.pdf (in general, the candidate: has to have appropriate qualifications, full legal capacity; enjoys full public rights; has not been convicted by a final judgment for an intentional or intentional crime, tax offense; has not been expulsed from univeristy position with a ban on working at universities period from 6 months to 5 years; has not been deprived of the right to practice as an academic teacher on period of 10 years)