“Familydemic” is hiring! Call for scholarship applications
Call for scholarship applications within the project:
“Short- and long-term impact of policies introduced in response to the COVID-19 pandemic on the division of work and family responsibilities between partners and their situation in the labor market” (FAMILYDEMIC), headed by Prof. Anna Kurowska, funded by the National Science Center (OPUS 19 competition; project number: 2020/37/B/HS5/02703).
The project is carried out in cooperation with the Interdisciplinary Center for Labor Market and Family Research – LABFAM, headed by Prof. Anna Matysiak and in international cooperation with researchers from the USA, Canada, Sweden, Germany and Italy. More information about the project at: https://familydemic.wnpism.uw.edu.pl
Recruitment is conducted by the Department of Political Science and International Studies at the University of Warsaw.
Job title: scientific scholarship
Number of positions:
1 – full scholarship (all planned tasks) or
2 – part-time scholarship (tasks will be divided among the grantees and the amount of the stipend will be distributed proportionally among the grantees according to the division of tasks).
The candidate should:
● be a PhD student or a student at his/her final year in MA program;
● be willing and able to work for the project an average of 30 hours per week (full-time option) or an average of 15 hours per week (part-time option);
● have an excellent practical and theoretical knowledge of statistical data analysis techniques and statistical packages (e.g., STATA, R or other similar) and excellent analytical skills;
● have experience working with statistical datasets and estimating advanced regression models on such data (experience with survey and panel data will be an asset);
● be interested in the topic of the project;
● have general knowledge of labor market, family or public policy issues;
● demonstrate very good English language skills;
● demonstrate very good work organization, reliability, punctuality and excellent communication skills.
● have at least one scientific paper (preferably published in a JCR-listed journal) that demonstrates the candidate’s excellent knowledge of statistical methods.
Description of the expectations from the grantee:
The candidate(s) will be required to:
● carry out empirical research under the guidance of Prof. Anna Kurowska, including: preparation of databases for analysis, estimation of advanced regression models, including models using hierarchically structured data and/or panel data;
● co-authoring scientific articles with Prof. Anna Kurowska and other members of the Familydemic project;
● performing other tasks related to the implementation of the project, including, but not limited to, reviewing English-language literature;
● presenting the results of the project at conferences;
● participating in research activities and events organized as part of the project;
● participate in research activities and events organized by the LABFAM team.
Terms of the scholarship:
If one candidate(s) is selected in the recruitment process (recruitment details below), then with a full stipend (completion of all scheduled tasks) he/she will receive a stipend from the project in the amount of PLN 5000 per month.
In case two candidates will be chosen and the tasks divided – the amount of the scholarship will be divided proportionally to the scope of tasks performed by each grantee.
The period of funding of the scholarship under the project: from 1.09.2023 to 31.12.2024, with an opportuinity of extension.
Note: If a doctoral student(s) obtains a doctoral degree while receiving the stipend, the stipend may only be paid up to 6 months thereafter.
Candidates are asked to send the application via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
A special three-person selection committee with Prof. Anna Kurowska as chairperson will select the best candidates (stage I), who will be invited to an online interview (stage II of the procedure). The scholarship committee will evaluate the candidate’s previous scientific achievements, his/her achievements resulting from scientific research, and competence to carry out specific tasks in the research project on a point scale in accordance with para. 12 of the NCN regulations. With regard to the last point (assessment of candidate’s competence to carry out specific research tasks), the committee may ask the candidate to perform a short task that is related to the research project and send the result to the committee. The candidate(s) with the highest score will be awarded a scholarship. Candidates will be informed about the results of the recruitment process by email. The decision of the commission is not subject to appeal.
Required documents to be submitted with application:
● a copy of a diploma of MA or BA (BA only in the case of candidates at their last year of a MA program);
● a certificate PhD candidate status or the status of a MA student at the last year of the degree program;
● a confirmation of English language proficiency;
● a professional CV of the candidate, including, among others:
o detailed contact information: e-mail address and phone number,
o the course of previous education and employment,
o a list of previous scientific/research achievements, including, in particular: scholarships, internships, awards, completed training/summer schools, participation in research projects (with detailed description of the tasks performed), experience with data analysis, knowledge of statistical methods and statistical packages, scientific publications (including those accepted for publication), international cooperation, presentations at scientific conferences,
● a cover letter in which the candidate(s) explains how he/she meets the criteria outlined in the advertisement and why he/she decided to apply for this scholarship (max 3 pages),
● at least one scientific paper (co-)authored by the candidate (might be a working paper although a paper published in a JCR-listed journal will be an asset; the quality and quantity of the publication will be part of the evaluation of the candidate’s scientific achievements);
● a clause regarding information on the processing of personal data (available at http://bsp.adm.uw.edu.pl/bsp/druki-i-formularze/) .
A letter of support written by a researcher with whom the candidate(s) has worked so far is welcome. The selection committee will have the right to contact the author(s) of such a letter to obtain further information about the candidate(s).
Deadline for sending applications: July 3rd, 2023
Online interviews at stage II will be held between July 18th and July 29th, 2023
Notification of the recruitment results: July 30th, 2023